Thursday, February 25, 2010

Deal of the Century

It's early to be buying major baby stuff. I realize this.

While doing a bit of Craigslist searching for a glider (rocking motion is good for gestating babies, yo), I came across what I thought must be a mistyped listing. The owners were selling their glider with ottoman, crib, mattress & cover, changing table and pad, and dresser. For $250. That's it. The photo showed very nice, solid wood furniture. I still wasn't sure. We decided to go check it out, just to see what exactly was wrong with it to make it worth $250 for the whole lot. Afterall, I wasn't planning to buy until 20+ weeks. We've got time.

The family has just potty trained their fourth and final (adorable) child. As a reward for her newfound skill, we were told that she got a brand new princess bed. Whohoo! She was thrilled. So was I. This meant that they really were selling it all...for that price...and just wanted to get it out of their entryway! The furniture is in amazing condition, having only been used for 3 years. A few nicks in the wood that can be easily filled. That's really it. Pretty sweet. And the parents were just awesome. Double plus!

We'll likely replace the mattress and cover with an organic one - something we'd planned to buy anyway. Plus, I'm pretty psyched that we're able to reuse someone else's ever-so-gently-used things. I'm a big fan of the whole not-buying-everything-brand-new idea. Saves a bit of waste. Hell, my wedding dress was worn previously by a now happily married woman.

So, now I have all of this extra furniture. In my living room. Thankfully, the crib is disassembled. We've got to get rid of our entire guest bedroom set to make room. Craigslist will be called upon, once again. I love it. It's great for when you decide to purge half of your belongings but just can't fathom tossing them to the curb. This is important because it means that if you plan to come stay with us, you'll now be forced to sleep on a futon. Thankfully, Jordan makes house-calls and will treat you for a small fee ;-)

Dude, I have baby furniture. In my house. It smacks me in the face every morning when I walk passed it to get to the kitchen. Me. Baby furniture. Holy crap.

Once we can actually get it set up in it's rightful place, I'll get some photos up. Until then, please don't picture something you'd find in a back alley. It's freaking sweet.