Monday, January 9, 2012

Teething

For the first several teeth that Ez got, he was a tiny bit fussy.  He had rosy little cheeks (so sweet!) and drooled a tad more, too.

A few weeks ago, I mentioned that he was getting some more in...and that they were causing a few problems.  

Boy, was I in for it.  Beginning on Thursday of last week, he's had a mild fever, huge, swollen gums and has been in so much pain.  Like, waking up at 3am screaming, kind of pain.  Inconsolable.  He's never been inconsolable.  It took about 10 minutes of pretty hysterical crying while I held him, sang to him, rocked him and tried to nurse him, before he calmed down.

Even when he does fall asleep, he's insanely restless and cannot stay asleep.  Those damn teeth.  Seriously, his gums feel like mountain ranges.  He's got at least 5 teeth coming in all at once.  

My kid, man...he's the teething overachiever ;-)

After that night, he's at least been consolable with rocking and nursing.  Starting last night, he has been having a tough time breathing through his cute little nose because it's so runny/crusty - what with the fever and the whimpering and all.  Poor little guy.  I feel so bad for him.

We've been doing the clove bud oil (mixed with some Udo's 3-6-9 Blend) on his gums and just bought him some Boiron Camilia.  It's a homeopathic that has been helping him relax and take away some of the pain.  He's not a fan of taking it - it's in liquid form and is completely tasteless, so I think it's just a general distaste for anything being shoved in his mouth.  But once it's in there, he tends to like to take a few bites of food.  This is a plus, considering he's not eating much beyond those few bites (and a ton of breast milk).

I've got a picture of him that I took really quickly for my mother the other night.  It's not good (it's from PhotoBooth, so whaddayawant?), but I feel compelled to add in a picture of him ;-)

You can tell he's not happy.