Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Clarification and more pictures

I went back and looked at the last post and realized that I should probably clarify some things.

Ezra got up around 11:30am that day. He was, by no means, tired. Had he given any cues that he was (yawning, disinterest in playing, fussing, etc) he would have napped. He routinely has days where he only takes short catnaps during the day.

He catnapped after eating about 4 times, for 15-30 minutes each time, waking when he was ready.

The goal was to amp up his activities throughout the day in order to try to tire him about a bit earlier in the evening....to allow for an earlier bedtime. Also, naps (real naps) throughout the day are a part of that goal. He laughed and played all day and was never forced to stay up.

Alright, I feel better.


So, was it successful? Kind of.

Here's what we got from it:

1. He fell asleep and woke up the next day about an hour and a half earlier. Great!
The next night, sleep was even better. Awesome!
The following day, we were back to going down and getting up late again. Bust.

2. I'm not consistently following a routine. Because we were so stringent on eating every two hours (at least) for so long just to maintain normal weight gains, I didn't begin a nighttime routine with Ez. There truly was NO time for that most days/nights. He was eating far too frequently (because he simply had to) and I barely had time to remove my butt from the couch to refill my water before he needed to eat again.
Now that I can and should, I am. We are currently working through The No-Cry Sleep Solution. I'll let you know how it goes.

3. Posting a pictorial essay of how you spent your day with a 3.5 month old is almost as tiring as spending your day with a 3.5 month old ;-)
**********
Whew. So, guess what Ez's latest triumph is...?

He rolls from back to belly now AND is scooting on his belly! I know...I was shocked too. I swear, I just gave birth to this little person and now he's working on becoming mobile? The hell? I almost want to pull a Cesar Milan on him and "Ssssssttt" every time he does it so that he'll stop and just be my tiny, immobile, adorable baby forever.
Then I realize that this makes me sound like a crazy person and I decide not to do it.
**********
You've probably noticed the amber necklace that I have wrapped around Mini-Man's wrist. If you are a member of my family, you have likely mocked me, albeit quietly and rarely to my face, about it.

I wasn't positive that it was really helping with anything at all. That is, until I took it off him for bath time and forgot to put it back on for several hours. Let me tell you, this thing really takes the edge off the discomfort that he's feeling from these moving teeth.

So there.
**********
And here's some recent pics of the boy.

He had a good time laughing at me while we sang and danced our way around the kitchen making banana bread. This is one of my favorite pictures!


Here's Ezra, modeling his new cowboy romper from Jenna.


And here's one of him after I told him the most hilarious joke ever.


Isn't he precious?


So cute, sitting in his Bumbo after a trip to Yogurtland (for me, not him ;-)).