Saturday, April 9, 2011

A Day at the Park

Jordan had a free Saturday - the first in a long while.  Unfortunately, it's unseasonably cool and the weatherman is threatening rain today.  Boo.  I was really hoping to hit the dog beach this weekend.  My fingers are crossed for more compliant weather tomorrow.  Brodie's paws are crossed, too ;-)
**********
We finally watched Avatar and Happy Feet this past week.  I know, I'm a tad late to the party.  We were only minorly interested in seeing Avatar when it was in theaters, with that glimmer of interest fading until the Netflix fairy delivered it to our door.  Turns out, it was quite good.  I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.  Made me want to watch I Am Legend for the 89th time.

Happy Feet was put off for so long because I'm a huge wuss.  I'd heard that some people got a bit teary-eyed, which means I'm liable to full-on ugly cry.  While some parts were pretty sad and managed to tug at those heartstrings, it was wasn't quite near Lion King/Bambi/Old Yeller - type sad.  Good movie.  Super cute (I mean, who doesn't love penguins??) and funny at times... I think I gave it 4/5 stars.
**********

We decided to hit the Japanese Friendship Gardens at Balboa Park today.  It turned out to be beautiful out, even if it was a tad windy.

Here's me and Ez making our way to the park.


The small koi pond.

The bonsai deck.


Some koi.  It seems they save the prettiest ones for the Friendship Gardens - they were gorgeous.

Some shots of the gardens




Here's Jordan and Ez, watching some of the street performers.  Our favorite armless guitar-playing guy was there today -- so awesome!



Me and Ezra in the Botanical Room, checking out the flowers.

Ez and Jordan had fun looking at the colors

Ez really liked this one a lot

He LOVED touching it -- it's got thousands of glass pieces/marbles on it - lots of neat things to feel :)


No, we didn't adopt the pretty little girl in the photo.  I was calling Ez's name to get him to look at me for the picture and she kept posing each time.