Saturday, April 23, 2011

A Saturday of world records and natural dyes

He just turned 7 months and he's already helping set world records.

This morning, Ezra and I participated in the Great Cloth Diaper Change.  We're talking, Guinness World Record here, people.  In honor of Earth Day, over 10,000 babies (with the help of their diaper-changers), in over 400 locations in 20 different countries had their tiny little tushies placed in a cloth diaper - simultaneously!  At the USD location, we had 34 babies counted toward the record :)

The host mentioned that in the time we would be changing our kids' diapers, 3000 disposables would be put into landfills...in San Diego.  Alone.  Wow.  Think about that the next time you pass the disposables at the grocery store.

Yay for cloth diapers and yay for world records!

Here's the only picture I managed to take while we were there.  It was immediately after the change.  As in, he didn't have his pants on yet ;-)  Sadly, I could've taken this photo anywhere, anytime.  You're just going to have to trust me on this one.




**********

I then spent some of my afternoon and evening dying eggs.  I couldn't see myself using the technicolor stuff that comes in nifty little packets (just add water & vinegar!).  Though I've used and loved that kind for as long as I can remember, I thought it was time to bring my philosophy on processed, ready-made goodies to this area.  While I do adore some of these things, I'm trying to make them less present in my life.

So, when I saw a link to this lovely blog on PW's Cooking page, I decided to try a few homemade dyes. With the guidance of that awesome post, some help from my good friend Google, and too many YouTube videos...I had my plan.

Beets, spinach, turmeric, red cabbage, and red onion skins with pomegranate tea.  Each mixed with a healthy dose of white vinegar.  You can imagine the strange and far-from-wonderful smells wafting through my place today.

I'll post pictures of them tomorrow.